Moving production out of China

Ask about any product that's not covered under one of the categories above. If enough people post about products in a given category, we'll create a new official category and move them over.
Paul

Moving production out of China

Post by Paul »

I am very pleased with the positive reports that big brands such as Samsung, Sony, LG, HP, Crocs, Adidas, Nike, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Puma, Sharp, Hasbro, Stanley/ Black & Decker, Dell, GoPro and Nintendo are moving production (partly) from China to other countries. The new production countries are mainly Vietnam, Thailand, India and Mexico. As I have read, it is expected that in the next 5 years about 20 to 30% of the production from China will be moved to other countries. Which creates ghost cities in China, as we know from Detroit when car production there decreased.
I also hear (to a lesser extent) stories about reshoring, companies that bring their production back to their own country. I just think that the ratio of companies that still leave to China is still higher than companies that come back to the US or Europe.

It strikes me that it is mainly American, Japanese and Korean companies that are withdrawing from China. Mostly driven by the new Tariffs on Chinese products in the US.
Setbacks are the large European companies. Apart from Adidas and Puma, there are few in the list of large companies that are moving from China.
The major European consumer electronics manufacturers such as Philips, Logitech, Siemens, Kärcher, etc. are doing nothing. In fact, many of these companies are planning to expand their production in China or to close even more factories in Europe and open them in China.
What's wrong here? Is it because the Chinese tentacles are already too deep in these European companies? Is it because of the Chinese Boycott threats that are now going on in Lithuania, for example? Is it because, as is often the case with Philips, for example, they have sold their business units to Chinese companies that sell their products under license? I can't quite figure out why these companies aren't following the trend.
Fighting a lonely battle... People, please stop buying Chinese crap!
Paul

Re: Moving production out of China

Post by Paul »

And another one departing from China, good news. Canon shuts down it's Zhuhai digital camera plant.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/137052873 ... outh-china
Fighting a lonely battle... People, please stop buying Chinese crap!