Reading Glasses

Looking for shirts, pants, socks, underwear, jackets and outerwear, swimwear, hats, shoes, or any other piece of clothing not made in China? Post your request here.
w8just1min

Reading Glasses

Post by w8just1min »

Does anyone have information about reading glasses NOT made in China? I am willing to spend more to stay away from MIC, but I have only been able to find prescription glasses and those run over $100 and it is hard to justify that much for some reading glasses with just a bit of magnification :D Is this another area where we are trapped by how cheap the "throw away" readers are?
steve
Site Admin

Re: Reading Glasses

Post by steve »

Wow...I just looked through all of the 100 top selling reading glasses on Amazon and it's not looking good at all.

The vast majority were not only made in China, they are sold directly by China manufacturers with names like dongguanshiqingyimaowangluokejiyouxiangongsi and Name:WENZHOU SENDE DIANZI SHANGWU YOUXIAN GONGSI, meaning that all the profit goes to China and the CCP (with Amazon collecting a small percentage).

READEREST claims in their online storefront that they are "proud to be producing (their products) right here in America, but they must not have updated their copy in 11 years, because product reviews are saying their glasses are made in China.

Supposed US-based brands like Foster Grant and PeeperSpecs are made in China.

The one brand I saw that has even a smidge of connection to the USA is ThinOptics:

https://amzn.to/3rm4sxk

According to this article, ThinOptics are made in Taiwan and assembled in the USA. If this is true, they are completely crazy for not publicizing this, especially when literally 99% of your competition is unabashedly made in China and profiting the China government. Instead, they keep their language annoying generic, like "Made in the USA or imported" or "our products are assembled in the United States from imported materials".

If I'm understanding correctly, they have a small team of 13 in Sonoma assembling their products, which consist of a case (made in China) and glasses (made in Taiwan). If that's the case, they're way ahead of anyone else.

Of course, I'd double-check before buying (their customer service line is 1-844-484-4667).
w8just1min

Post by w8just1min »

I found the same with most brands. I will look into ThinOptics to see what they are saying these days. Thanks for the confirmation. I have spent so much time looking and it disappoints me that there seem to be no other options.
w8just1min

Post by w8just1min »

I was shopping at Target today and found icu eyewear. The package says "Country of Origin indicated on Temple" and the Screen Vision Blue Light Filtering Reading Glasses that I looked at were made in Taiwan!! Finally, not made in China! Thought I would share. Many of the other styles from the same brand were made in China, so check the label carefully.
steve
Site Admin

Post by steve »

Yay! Thanks so much for posting your findings! It's doubly satisfying to hear you've found something made in Taiwan with all the bulling and saber rattling that Beijing is directing towards Taipei.

For everyone's reference here's a link to Target's collection of ICU eyewear.
https://www.target.com/b/icu-eyewear/-/N-55fbo

But because Target doesn't divulge country of origin online, I'd encourage everyone to do as w8just1min did and visit your local Target to verify.