Bicycles are made outside of China now

Ask about any product that's not covered under one of the categories above. If enough people post about products in a given category, we'll create a new official category and move them over.
Carsten Hoberg

Bicycles are made outside of China now

Post by Carsten Hoberg »

In my job, I had to control the warehouse of one of Germany's biggest bike sellers. Until some months ago, it said "Made in China" on every Package, but now it's India, Malaysia, Thailand... Seems like they don't want to depend on just one country anymore.
steve
Site Admin

Re: Bicycles are made outside of China now

Post by steve »

This is great news, Carsten, thanks for reporting!

This is a great sign. From what I can tell, there are a few things happening:

- China apologists are saying that this is all part of the plan. China is getting affluent, so like Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan before it, these jobs don't pay enough. This might be true in some places, but the CCP's plan was always to have its cake and eat it too, i.e., take higher paying jobs while also throwing their population of 1.4 billion at lower wage, slave labor jobs (i.e. people with low social credit scores).

- The Section 301 Tariffs. Love or hate the Trump Administration, these tariffs in 2018 broke the cycle of American and European companies falling over themselves to get cheap China labor. I'm glad to see people like US Trade Representative Katherine Tai holding the line, but every now and then I see her starting to crack (little exclusions creep in every year thanks to lobbyists). There are a TON of people in both political parties who are pressuring her to open the floodgates to China again. We'll see what happens when she gives her mandated "4 year review" shortly.

- COVID-19. China shot itself in the foot with its draconian COVID policies, which ultimately hurt big brands that rely on China like Apple. The negative PR was enough to convince a lot of companies to diversify. Like the 2007 melamine pet food incident, expect certain brands to hide in the shadows until everyone forgets. Reward the brands that diversify.

- ALL OF US. Our voices are being heard. Americans can see first-hand how entrenched China's money is in Congress and in the Executive Branch. They enter Congress with an annual salary of $174,000 and leave multi-millionaires, with their portfolios filled with stocks that grew because of brands that exploit labor and environmental practices in China that would never be allowed in the US. All this time, it's the CCP who is exploiting them. CONTINUE TO SHOUT, in a respectful way. Post findings of country of origin on Amazon Q&A, return items from Amazon that are falsely labeled as not made in China at their expense, buy from brick-and-mortar stores where you can read the box, and WRITE to your Congressperson demanding that we demand that our country and its industry stop funding a foreign enemy that intends to destroy us.