Wüsthof Solingen factory tour

Ask here about kitchen appliances, cookware, food prep, and anything else you'll find around the kitchen.
Paul

Wüsthof Solingen factory tour

Post by Paul »

Very nice page of the brand Wüsthof from the German City of Blades Solingen.
They still produce all of their knifes in Germany.
Look at the factory plan with videos about each process, really nice.

https://www.wuesthof.com/en-nl/company/manufacture/

Fighting a lonely battle... People, please stop buying Chinese crap!
steve
Site Admin

Re: Wüsthof Solingen factory tour

Post by steve »

Amazing--thanks for sharing, Paul!

I feel extra good about having put Wüsthof as #1 on my list of the best knife sets not made in China :)

It's pretty telling that companies like Wüsthof, Shun, and Zwilling JA Henckels (also baed out of Soligen) have never outsourced to China. These companies were smart enough to know that as soon as they taught their trade secrets (built over hundreds of years) to a China contractor the market would be flooded with counterfeits and knockoffs.

It's sad that so many other companies don't care--too many CEOs just want to boost their stock price, knowing they will only be in their jobs for a few years anyway. As a result, so many companies in the US, Europe, and Japan that once prided themselves on innovation and craftsmanship have just become mockeries of themselves. Let's hope more and more industries wake up.
Paul

Re: Wüsthof Solingen factory tour

Post by Paul »

Solingen has long been known as the city where the best knives and scissors come from.
I can't remember anything else, even as a child most of the knives we had came from Solingen.
When it comes to scissors, there is of course another icon; Fiskars. This brand is also quite loyal to its home country Finland in terms of production. Most of the traditional scissors (and also pans) are made in Finland. Please note, many other Fiskars products come from China.

You certainly made a good choice in your article, I have added the link to the factory tour to the comments in your article.

As for Wüsthof, what I think is the best thing about this brand is that they have the budget line, the cheap Create Collection made in Germany as well. You often see that companies that produce domestically, they always have a cheap entry-level model that is made in China. Not at Wüsthof. 5 stars for Wusthof :D.
Fighting a lonely battle... People, please stop buying Chinese crap!