Drones not made in China?

Ask the community about the best TV, smartphones, laptops, security cameras, tablets, and other consumer electronics not made in China.
ChrisF

Drones not made in China?

Post by ChrisF »

Are there ANY drones for consumer use that aren't made in China? I am willing to spend extra money to buy one that is design, made, and sold in the USA (or anywhere but China).

I read somewhere that OVER 90% of the drone market share is by DJI, a Chinese company. That means that thousands and thousands of Americans are mapping out every inch of the United States for China to see. The PLA may as well stop spending millions of Yuan developing satellites, because American law enforcement and hobbyists are doing a better job of surveilling their own cities than China ever could.

In what world is this sane???
steve
Site Admin

Re: Drones not made in China?

Post by steve »

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there are literally no consumer drone manufacturers left anywhere in the world. Parrot (based in France) and Skydio (based in the US) used to produce consumer drones, but they left the consumer market. GoPro attempted to break into the market but they failed.

Ironically, the rules that the government put in place mandating that government agencies and the military purchase US-made drones has had the unintended effect of all American companies abandoning the consumer market. Why deal with 100,000 consumers and their customer service issues when you can land one government contract that sells a few hundred drones, netting you the same revenue?

The tragedy is, like you say, DJI and other China manufacturers focusing on the consumer market will have thousands and thousands of Americans doing their QA work for them and pushing innovation, while American drone companies get fat on big government contracts.

What's sad is that there are more than 60 drone manufacturers based in the USA chasing the commercial market, but none of them dare touch the consumer market.

There's a reason DJI has dominated more than 70% of the consumer drone market and China dominates 100% of consumer drone manufacturing. Unlike most industries, they didn't need American brands to dump all their manufacturing on them, and they didn't need CCP to put their thumb on the scales to break them into this market—they invented the market and through their market dominance are keeping everyone else out. If the West doesn't wake up, this will happen with every other consumer product.
Carsten Hoberg

Post by Carsten Hoberg »

Maybe RC model planes could be an alternative. Anyone who has some experience in building a model plane should be able to install an action cam on it. well, you don't get a live view but compared to the price of a drone, the RC model plane is a steal! And if you think they go to fast, build a miniature airship and put in as much helium as it still can land with while it will stay up carrying multiple cameras. Maybe you even can get crashed drones for free and reuse motors and propellers.
ChrisF wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:14 am Are there ANY drones for consumer use that aren't made in China? I am willing to spend extra money to buy one that is design, made, and sold in the USA (or anywhere but China).

I read somewhere that OVER 90% of the drone market share is by DJI, a Chinese company. That means that thousands and thousands of Americans are mapping out every inch of the United States for China to see. The PLA may as well stop spending millions of Yuan developing satellites, because American law enforcement and hobbyists are doing a better job of surveilling their own cities than China ever could.

Carsten Hoberg

Post by Carsten Hoberg »

Carsten Hoberg wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:15 pm Maybe RC model planes could be an alternative. Anyone who has some experience in building a model plane should be able to install an action cam on it. Well, you don't get a live view but compared to the price of a drone, the RC model plane is a steal! And if you think they go to fast, build a miniature airship and put in as much helium as it still can land with while it will stay up carrying multiple cameras. (Maybe an emergency valve for the helium is a good idea to make sure it can land) you even can get crashed drones for free and reuse motors and propellers.
ChrisF wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:14 am Are there ANY drones for consumer use that aren't made in China? I am willing to spend extra money to buy one that is design, made, and sold in the USA (or anywhere but China).