Howdy!

A general discussion board for introducing yourself and talking about general topic about products not made in China.
w8just1min

Howdy!

Post by w8just1min »

I started small about 7 years ago using made in China items to curb my spending. If I was out and saw something that I "wanted" and it was made in China, I put it back. When shopping for things I needed, I always read the labels and was happy to find a Made In USA item for example, but did not hunt for those not made in China. About 2 years ago, I got serious with hunting for not made in China. Honestly, it is really hard to do. I spend a lot of time looking, but it feels like it will be worth it in the long run. I am so happy to find others out there trying to do the same and glad I found this site late last year.
Paul

Re: Howdy!

Post by Paul »

Well done! I wish we all would do this. Personally, I don't mind spending a lot of time looking for the right NMIC product.
I become very unhappy if a product is not available at all and end up buying it from China. Especially if I searched for it for hours beforehand. Unfortunately, this is regularly the case. :roll:
It's also nice to find like-minded people, it also makes searching easier.
I've been dodging Chinese stuff for about 17 years now, it hasn't gotten any easier since then! At that time you could buy different products from other countries, but now several products only come from China. :cry:
Fighting a lonely battle... People, please stop buying Chinese crap!
steve
Site Admin

Re: Howdy!

Post by steve »

What I have found amazing is how durable things not made in China really are. I bought a whole set of the Spielstabil beach toys I talked about in other post, and they've already survived multiple trips to the beach and the snow and still look like new. The cheap made-in-China plastic pail that my daughter brought home from school literally shattered like glass the second time we brought it to the beach.

This USED to be the way things were, but we've taught two whole generations of kids that you find the cheapest price you can and if it breaks, you just throw it away and buy a new one. As long as consumers continue this pattern, manufacturers are incentivized to use cheaper and cheaper labor and material, knowing that consumers will just come back.

I've lost count of how many laptops, iPhones, toasters, radios, clocks, and other junk I've ended up just tossing in the trash. We've been brainwashed into thinking that's normal behavior. But no more. Since "waking up" I could not be more pleased with my office chair (made in USA), my toilet (made in Japan), my rice cooker (made in Japan), my car (made in Japan), my beach toys (made in Germany), my sneakers (made in USA), my coffee mug (made in USA), my facemasks (made in USA, Taiwan, and Korea), and my dinnerware (made in Indonesia). It's actually becoming like a fun game of "hide and seek" to find stuff not made in China, and invariably I'm thrilled with the quality of the product.